Wednesday 7 August 2013

Teaching

I have started teaching again this week following last week's holiday time. I'm teaching a year 12 and a year 13 class, although I haven't yet started teaching the year 13 yet because I teach them on Friday's and Friday is Id, so the school is on holiday AGAIN.

Teaching is quite frustrating here for a number of reasons:

1. The language barrier, which is often more to do with me understanding what the kids are saying rather than anything else

2. The organisation. I thought I was going to teach a lesson today to a full class. In the end there were only two for most of it because the others were in house meetings for organising house plays. During lesson time. I didn't realise/wasn't told that this would be the case. It would be impossible to come up with a practical scheme of work here. I know this sounds pathetically like just whinging "it's no Rugby!" but it just makes it difficult to make a big difference in a short period of time.

3. The content. The teacher who I'm shadowing/trying to help is quite pressured about exams so I'm trying to stick to the course content. But the actual knowledge they need is ridiculous. There's very little thought required, and learning word by word definitions is infinitely more rewarding in terms of work than any genuine understanding.

So it's enjoyable when I do it. But it's hard to really gain too much satisfaction from it.

Have a photo of a bloke with goats:


No comments:

Post a Comment